Donald Sassoon Email:D.Sassoon@qmul.ac.uk
School of History
Queen Mary, University of London
Mile End Road,
London E1 4NS
Born 25 November 1946 in Cairo, Egypt. British nationality.
• Schools in Paris, Milan and England.
• University College, London. 1966-1969: BSc (Economics and International Relations, 1969)
• The Pennsylvania State University, 1969-71: MA Political Science, 1971.
• Birkbeck College, University of London, 1972-1977: PhD 1977 (Supervisors: Prof. Eric J. Hobsbawm and Prof. Bernard Crick, Social Science Research Council scholarship 1973-1975).
1973-1975: Social Science Research Council scholarship.
1975-1979: Hillcroft College London
1979-1980: Lecturer in History, Queen Mary College
1980-1989: Lecturer in History, Westfield College, University of London.
1989-1997: Reader in History, Queen Mary and Westfield College, University of London.
1997-2012: Professor of Comparative European History, Queen Mary, University of London
Birkbeck College, University of London, Visiting Lecturer, Dept. of Politics and Sociology, (1985-1988) (1993-4).
LSE: Visiting Lecturer, Fall 1990
Université Libre Bruxelles: (March 1993, March 1996)
University of Innsbruck: November 1993
University of Trento: Visiting Professor Fall 1999
New York University: Senior Research Fellow (January-March 2001)
Paris: Maison des Sciences de l’Homme, Senior Research Fellow (April-June 2002)
Professeur invité: Université de Paris XIII (April 2005)
Samuel W. Brooks Visiting Prof. in English Literature at the University of Queensland (Australia) Fall 2009
Visiting Professor in Political Economy, University of Modena February-March 2010
Distinguished Visiting Fellow, History Department, Boston College, Boston Mass. (March 2011), sponsored by the Institute for the Liberal Arts and the Clough Center.
• Mussolini and the Rise of Fascism (HarperCollins 2008).
- Brazil: Mussolini e a Ascensão do fascismo (2008) Brazil (Agir Editora)
- Spain: Mussolini y el ascenso del fascismo (2009) (Critica)
- Italy: Come Nasce un Dittatore (2010) (Rizzoli)
• The Culture of the Europeans. (1,660 pages) 2006 HarperCollins.
A wide-ranging comparative work on the evolution of cultural markets in Europe from the end of the 18th century to the present. It examines the establishment of a broad literary and musical culture through such vehicles as the press, the popular novel and popular music, to the rise of the gramophone, the radio and the cinema and the domination of television. It maps the growth and transformation of cultural markets throughout Europe: what its products are, how are they distributed, how they are consumed, who the consumers are, how the industries are regulated, which conditions are required for both production and consumption, and the extent to which one can speak of the Americanisation of culture. This book has attracted the backing of the Nuffield Foundation (fellowship 1997-98), the Leverhulme Foundation (Major Fellowship 2000-2003) and the British Academy (travel grants)
- Spanish translation (Critica/ Planeta 2006) Cultura
- Italian translation (Rizzoli 2008) La Cultura degli Europei (paperback BUR: 2011) This won the Premio Alassio Internazionale
- Estonian translation (Varrak 2009) Europa kultuuri aja lugu aastast 1800
- Korean translation (Puriwa Ipari 2013). This won the Grand Prize by the group ‘People who make books’ which comprises 48 Korean publishers.
- Chinese translation due 2013 (CCTP)
• Mona Lisa: The History of the World’s Most Famous Painting, Harper Collins (London) 2001, 350pp. (Paperback August 2002) Published in the USA by HarcourtBrace as Becoming Mona Lisa. The Making of a Global Icon, November 2001. (paperback January 2003)
- Italy: La Gioconda (2002) (Carrocci)
- South Korea (2003) (Haenaem Publishing Co Ltd)
- Poland (2003): Mona Liza. Historia najslynniejszego obrazu swiata (Rebis, Poznan)
- Taiwan (2003) (Chinese complex characters) (Owl Publs/Cite Publishing Ltd)
- Brazil (2004) (Record publishers): Mona Lisa. A história da pintura mais famosa do mundo
- China (2004) (simplified characters) Century Publishing House
- Czech Republic (2004) BB/Art: Mona Lisa. Historie nejslavnĕjšího obrazu na svĕtĕ
- Sweden (Forum): Mona Lisa Den Fängslande Historien om världens mest berömda målning
- Finland (Ajatus): Mona Lisa. Maailman tunnetuimman maalauksen tarina
- Spain: Mona Lisa. Historia de la pintura más famosa del mundo (Planeta/Critica 2007)
• Leonardo and the Mona Lisa Story (2006, art book) Duckworth in the UK, Overlook in the USA, Allen and Unwin in Australia.
- Italian: Rizzoli (Il mistero della Gioconda, 2006)
- German: Luebbe verlagsgruppe (Da Vinci und das Geheimnis der Mona Lisa, 2006)
- French: Editions Stéphane Bachès (Histoires de Joconde 2007)
- Hungarian: Saxum (A Mona Lisa-Sztori 2007)
- Spanish: Electa (Leonardo y la Mona Lisa 2007)
• One Hundred Years of Socialism. The West European Left in the Twentieth Century (969pp.)
Winner of 1997 Deutscher Memorial Prize, New York Times Notable Books of the Year 1997
UK Hardback: I.B.Tauris, 1996,
UK Paperback edition: Fontana Press, 1997.
UK Paperback second edition (IB Tauris) with a new introduction 2010
UK Paperback third edition (IB Tauris) with an updated introduction 2013
USA edition: The New Press, 1997. (hardback and paperback)
- Italian translation: Cent’anni di socialismo, Editori Riuniti, 1997.
- Greek translation: Екаtó xpóvia σοσiaλiμού, Kastaniotis Eds: 2001 (2 vols.)
- Spanish translation: Cien Anos de Socialismo, EDHASA 2001
- Portuguese translation: Cem Anos de Socialismo – 2 Vols 2001 Context
- Swedish translation: Hundra års socialism, Atlas Förlag 2002
- Chinese translation: Chinese Academy of Social Sciences Publishers 2008 (2 vols) (with a new introduction for the Chinese reader)
- Korean translation: forthcoming 2014 ((Slow and Steady Publishing Co))
• Contemporary Italy. Politics Economy and Society Since 1945, Longman, London and New York 1986, 277pp. Six impressions) Second edition, revised and updated: Longman, 1997. L’Italia Contemporanea, Editori Riuniti, Rome 1988, 367pp. Italian translation of the above (expanded & updated): •
• Togliatti e la via italiana al socialismo. Il PCI dal 1944 al 1964, Einaudi, Turin 1980, 405pp.
The Strategy of the Italian Communist Party. From the Resistance to the Historic Compromise, Frances Pinter Ltd., London and St. Martin’s Press NY, 1981, 259pp, (Shortened version of the book published in Italian, with an update to 1979).
EDITED BOOKS and short books
• Intervista immaginaria con Karl Marx, Castelvecchi, Rome, 2014
• The Sense of Europe, conversation with Eric Hosbabwm (in Spanish and English), CCCB Barcelona 2008
• I buoni e i cattivi nella cultura popolare, Aragno editore, Turin 2012
• Edited with an introduction: Looking Left. The European Left after the Cold War, Tauris, London 1997
In the US: The New Press 1998.
- Japanese translation: Nihon Keizar-hyoronha, Tokyo
- Italian translation as a special issue of journal Europa/Europe, Rome 1997.
• Edited with an introduction: P. Togliatti, On Gramsci and Other Writings, Lawrence and Wishart, 1979.
• Edited with an introduction: The Italian Communists Speak for Themselves, Spokesman Books, Nottingham 1978.
- Social Democracy at the Heart of Europe, Institute of Public Policy Research, London 1996, 54pp.
- Greek translation in Synchronathemata (Contemporary Themes), No.4, 1996.
- Il sistema televisivo britannico fra controlli e autocontrollo. VTP-RAI, Rome 1984.
- Legami pericolosi? Rapporti fra potere politico e televisione in quindici paesi. ERI Edizioni, Turin 1987, 150pp.
ARTICLES IN JOURNALS
- ‘The Funding of Italian Political Parties’, The Political Quarterly, No.1, 1975.
- ‘Introduction to Luporini’, Economy and Society, No.2, 1976.
- (with Paul Bew) ‘Coscienza di classe e rivoluzione industriale nella storiografia urbana inglese’, Studi Storici, No.2, 1975.
- ‘The Italian Communist Party’s European Strategy’, Political Quarterly, No.3, 1976. -French translation in Dialectiques, No.18-19, 1977. -Spanish translation in Gramsci y el Eurocomunismo, Materiales, Barcelona 1978.
- ‘Eurocommunism, the Labour Party and the EEC’, Political Quarterly, No.1, 1979.
- ‘La Crisi Britanica: declive o derrumbe?’Argomentos, vol 4, No.34, 1980.
- ‘Beyond Tripartism’, Politics and Power, No.2, 1980.
- ‘The Silences of New Left Review’ Politics and Power, No.3, 1981.
- ‘La Crisi del Welfare State’, Quaderni di Azione Sociale, No.14/15, 1981.
- ‘Gran Bretagna: La sconfitta dello stato social-democratico’, Critica Marxista, No.2, 1982.
- ‘Contratto sociale e stato sociale. Sindacato e sistema politico nell’esperienza britannica’, Problemi del socialismo, No.24/25, vol XXIII, May-Dec 1982.
- ‘Londra Emigra’, Politica e economia, No.9, 1983.
- ‘La Rai tra lottizzazione politica e concorrenza privata’, Problemi del socialismo, No.27-8, 1984.
- ‘Labour Party: Anatomia di un declino’, Politica e economia, No.6, 1984.
- ‘Togliatti e la centralità del Parlamento’, Critica marxista, No.1, 1985.
- ‘Political and Market Forces in Italian Broadcasting’, West European Politics, vol. 8, No.2, April 1985. Reprinted in R. Kuhn (ed.) Broadcasting in Western Europe, Frank Cass 1985).
- ‘Italian Freemasonry: The propaganda 2 Lodge’, Corruption and Reform, No.1, 1986, pp.63-67
- ‘La sinistra in Italia e in Europa. Elezioni e governi 1948-1988’ in Italia Contemporanea, No.175, June 1989.
- ‘German Social Democracy Between a National Strategy and a European Dimension’ in Il Politico, No.3, July-Sept. 1989, pp.425-39.
- ‘Eastern Europe, European Integration and the Welfare State’, Socialism and Democracy, (New York), January 1991, No.12.
- ‘Le elezioni del 1946’, Italia Contemporanea, No.181, December 1990
- ‘L’Esperienza dell’Est e l’Europa: una conversazione’ (with E.J. Hobsbawm) in Democrazia e diritto, No.1-2 1991, pp.349-71.
- ‘Reflections on the Labour Party’s Programme for the 1990s’, Political Quarterly, July-Sept 1991 Vol.62, No.3, pp.365-76.
- ‘La “repubblica dei partiti”‘, Italia Contemporanea, No.187, June 1992, pp.293-300.
- ‘The Rise and Fall of West European Communism 1939-48’, Contemporary European History, Vol. 1, No.2, 1992, pp.139-69. -In Italian as ‘Espansione e declino del comunismo in Europa occidentale 1939-1948’, Italia Contemporanea, No.190, March 1993, pp.5-36.
- ‘PASOK and the Greek Metapolitensis’ [in Greek] Social Science Tribune (To Bima ton Koinonikon Epistimon) Vol.10, No.16, Summer 1995, pp.5-28.
- ‘Tangentopoli or the Democratization of Corruption: considerations on the end of Italy’s First Republic’, Journal of Modern Italian Studies, Vol.1, No.1, Fall 1995, pp.124-43.
- ‘Comunisti e sindacati in Gran Bretagna tra le due guerre’ (Review article), Italia Contemporanea, No.200, September 1995, pp.515-20.
- ‘Fin-de-siècle Socialism: The United, Modest Left’, New Left Review, No.227, January-February 1998. A version of this has also been published in Actuel Marx, No.23, 1998 (special issue on social democracy: L’arbre social-démocrate) and another in René Cuperus and Johannes Kandel, Transformation in Progress. European Social Democracy, Friedrich Ebert Stiftung and Wiardi Backman Stichting, Amsterdam 1998
- ‘Le “colpe” di Togliatti e la riflessione storica’ in Italia Contemporanea No.209-210, Dec. 1997-March 1998 pp.219-23 also published in English in Journal of Southern Europe and the Balkans, Vol.1, No.1, May 1999 pp.33-8 as ‘Togliatti, Stalin, Hungary and the Tasks of Historians’
- ‘Le nouveau Labour, exemple ou contre-exemple?’ in Esprit, No.3-4, March-April 1999 pp.60-77
- ‘The PCI between 1948 and 1956: four perspectives on vol.VII of the Storia del PCI’ in Journal of Modern Italian Studies, Vol. 4, No.3, Fall 1999 pp.386-92
- ‘Socialism in the twentieth century: an historical reflection’ in Journal of Political Ideologies, Vol. 5, No.1, 2000, pp.17-34 (Portoguese trans.: in Política Democrática Vol. 1 October.-December 2000 (Brazil) as ‘O Socialismo no século XX: uma reflexão histórica’, also reprinted in Brood and Rozen Vol. 5, No. 1 January 2000, Holland). Also reprinted in Michael Freeden (ed.), Reassessing Political Ideologies, Routledge 2001, pp.49-66. Also reprinted in Transitions in social democracy. Cultural and ideological problems of the golden age edited by John Callaghan and Ilaria Favretto, Manchester University Press 2006, pp.15-34
- ‘Mona Lisa: The Best-Known Girl in the Whole Wide-World’ in History Workshop Journal, No. 51, Spring 2001, pp. 1-18
- ‘L’Italia dopo il fascismo: l’affermazione delle narrazioni dominanti’ in Novecento, No. 5, July-December 2001, pp.11-36
- ‘On Cultural Markets’ in New Left Review, No.17, September-October 2002, pp.113-128. Italian translation: ‘I mercati culturali’ in L’ospite ingrato No. 2, 2004, pp. 61-74.
- ‘Western Socialism: a historical reflection’ in The Journal of Contemporary Theory No. 3 in April 2005, pp.20-35 (in Japanese)
- ‘Die Transformationen der Sozialdemokratie’ in Rote Revue, No 3, 2005
- ‘The Evolution of the European Secular State’ in Occasional Papers No 14, Southeast Asia Europe, Friedrich Ebert Stiftung 1/2006
- ‘Seeing Red’ (Review article) in Foreign Affairs (Washington) July 2007 pp.153-59
- ‘Povera Italia’ (Review article) in Journal for the Study of Modern Italy, Vol. 12, No 3, September 2007, pp. 339-46
- Socialism and Culture: An Interview with Donald Sassoon, in Thesis Eleven, No. 98, August 2009, pp.115-128
- ‘L’Europa che non c’è’ in Passato e Presente, Vol. xxviii No. 79, 2010, pp.143-154
- ‘Misunderstanding Europe’ in Comprendre No 2, 2010, pp.195-202
- ‘Abandoning the Welfare State. The Unbearable Heaviness of Being European’ in Bejing Cultural Review April 2012, pp.88-96
- ‘Keeping Down the Demos’ review article in History Workshop Journal (Autumn 2012) 74(1): 256-264
- Review article of Eric Hobsbawm, ‘Come cambiare il mondo’ in Il Mulino, No 5, 2012, pp.931-35
- ‘The Impenitent. Hobsbawm 1917-2012’ in New Left Review 77, Sept-Oct 2012, pp.35-42
- ‘The provincialism of the hegemon: British and French Fiction in the nineteenth century’ in Revue française de civilisation britannique, Vol. 17.3, 2012
ESSAYS IN BOOKS
- (with P.A. Allum) ‘Italy’ in M. McCauley (ed.) Communist Power in Europe 1944-1949, Macmillan , London 1977.
- ‘Italy Today: A Society in Transition’ Introduction to Red Bologna, by M. Jaggi, R. Muller and S. Schmidt, Writers and Readers Publishing, London 1977.
- ‘The Making of Italian Foreign Policy’ in Foreign Policy Making in Western Europe edited by William Patterson and William Wallace, Saxon House, 1978.
- ‘Gramsci e il Mondo Anglosassone’ in Politica e Storia in Gramsci, Riuniti, Rome 1979.
- ‘La Resistenza Britannica’ in Resistenza Arte Cultura, ANPI, Rome 1979.
- ‘Zur Notwendigkeit von neuen Fragen und neuen Antoworten in der Strategiedebatte der Eurolinken’ in Kapitalistiche Krise und Strategien der Eurolinken, SPW-Verlag, Berlin, 1982.
- ‘Dal compromesso neocorporativo alla sconfitta sindacale. Il caso inglese.’ in Paolo Perulli and Bruno Trentin (eds.), Il sindacato nella recessione, De Donato, Bari 1983.
- ‘Marxism and the British Labour Tradition’ in Rethinking Marx, Argument-Verlag, Berlin 1984 (edited by S. Hanninen and Leena Paldan).
- ‘Italy: The Advent of Private Broadcasting’ in R. Kuhn (ed.) The Politics of Broadcasting, Croom Helm, London 1985.
- ‘The Development of Political Control in a Mixed Joint System: the case of British Television’ in the proceedings of the conference The Image of Politics in the Televisual Information, ERI, Rome 1986.
- ‘La concezione del partito in Togliatti’ in A. Agosti (ed) Togliatti e la fondazione dello stato democratico, Franco Angeli, Milan 1986.
- ‘Togliatti, Italian Communism and the Popular Front’ in The Popular Front in Europe edited by H. Graham and P. Preston, Macmillan, 1987.
- ‘Oriente e occidente’ in Berlinguer oggi (eds P. Corsini and M. De Angelis), Edizioni Unità, Rome 1987.
- ‘Gli effetti della televisione sulla realtà sociale’ in Prix Italia. Atti del Convegno TV-50 anni Presenza e testimonianza, Lucca 1986, ERI, Turin 1987.
- ‘The 1987 Elections and the PCI’ in Italian Politics. A Review. Vol. 3 (eds. Piergiorgio Corbetta and Robert Leonardi), Pinter Publishers, London and NY 1989. -Italian translation:’La sconfitta elettorale comunista: un ritorno agli anni sessanta?’ in Politica in Italia, Il Mulino, Bologna 1988.
- ‘La sinistra europea e la sua crisi’ in Paolo Corsini (ed.), La sinistra in Europa, Franco Angeli, Milan 1989.
- ‘La parabola della “Terza Forza” in Gran Bretagna: liberali e socialdemocratici’ in Sinistra Europea. Annali 1988-89 ,Franco Angeli, Milan 1989.
- ‘The Role of the Italian Communist Party in the consolidation of parliamentary democracy in Italy’ in Securing Democracy: Political Parties and Democratic Consolidation in Southern Europe edited by Geoffrey Pridham, Routledge, London and NY 1990.
- ‘Italy’ in Government and Economies in the Postwar World. Economic policies and comparative performance 1945-85 edited by Andrew Graham with Anthony Seldon, Routledge, London 1990, pp.104-24.
- ‘L’Europa fra sogno americano e mito sovietico’ in Pier Paolo D’Attorre (ed.) Nemici per la pelle. Sogno americano e mito sovietico nell’Italia contemporanea, Franco Angeli, Milan 1991.
- ‘A New European Political Order? The Agenda for Social Democracy’ in D. Miliband (ed.) A More Perfect Union? Britain and the New Europe, Institute for Public Policy Research, June 1992.
- ‘Socialism before 1914: final goals and practical tasks’ in Defending Politics. Essays presented to Bernard Crick, edited by Iain Hampsher-Monk, British American Press, London and St. Martin’s Press New York, 1993, pp.49-70.
- ‘Italian Images of Russia’ in Christopher Duggan and Chris Wagstaff (eds.), Italy in the Cold War. Politics, Culture and Society, 1948-1958, Berg Publishers, 1995, pp.189-202
- ‘La regione, le città, i cittadini: immagini anglosassoni’ in L’Emilia-Romagna. Storia delle Regioni dall’Unità a oggi, edited by Roberto Finzi, Einaudi, Turin 1997, pp.871-890
- ‘Utopie industrialiste e utopie anti-industrialiste’ in Valerio Castronovo (ed.), Storia dell’Economia Mondiale. Vol. 3, L’età della rivoluzione industriale, Laterza, Roma-Bari 1998
- ‘European Social Democracy and New Labour: Unity in Diversity? in The New Social Democracy (Book special issue of Political Quarterly) edited by Andrew Gamble and Tony Wright, Blackwell, Oxford 1999
- ‘Capitalisti e anticapitalisti’ in Valerio Castronovo (ed.), Storia dell’Economia Mondiale. Vol.4 Tra Espansione e recessione, Laterza, Roma-Bari 1999, pp. 357-78
- ‘Politics’ in Mary Fulbrook (ed.) Europe since 1945, (Short Oxford History of Europe), OUP 2001 , pp.14-52 [translated into Spanish –Editorial Critica, Barcelona 2002]
- ‘L’aspirazione all’eguaglianza e il Welfare State’ in Aldo Agosti (ed.), Enciclopedia della sinistra europea nel XX secolo, Ed. Riuniti, Rome 2000, pp.872-81
- ‘Conclusions’ in Jacques Girault (ed.) L’implantation du socialisme en France au Xxe Siècle.Partis, réseaux, mobilisation, Publications de la Sorbonne, Paris 2001, pp. 343-48
- ‘The European Left in Comparative and Historical Perspective’ in Ramu Manivannan (ed.), Social Justice, Democracy and Alternative Politics. An Asian-European Dialogue, proceedings from international seminar Sathirakoses-Nagapradipa Foundation and Friedriech-Ebert-Stiftung, SEM Publishers, Bangkok 2001.
- ‘Socialism and Atlanticism In Southern Europe’ in Gustav Schmidt (ed.) NATO: The First Fifty Years, Vol. 2 Palgrave 2001, pp. 235-250
- ‘Introduzione’ to Enrico Berlinguer, Discorsi parlamentari, Camera dei Deputati Rome 2001 (Introduction to the parliamentary speeches of Enrico Berlinguer, published by the Italian Chamber of Deputies), pp. xix-xlvi
- ‘Gramsci e la vulgata marxista della Seconda e Terza Internazionale’ in Marx e Gramsci memoria e attualità edited by Giuseppe Petronio e Marina Paladini Musitelli, Manifestolibri, 2001, pp.19-32
- ‘Europe and the Enlargement of the European Union’ in Sergio Fabbrini (ed.), Nation Federalism and Democracy. The EU, Italy and the American Experience, Editrice Compositori, Bologna 2001, pp.213-224. Republished with changes as ‘Is social capitalism exportable? Considerations from the EU enlargement’ in Sergio Fabbrini (ed.), Democracy and Federalism in the European Union and the United States, Routledge, London and New York 2005, pp.148-163
- ‘Italy After Fascism: the Predicament of Dominant Narratives’ in Richard Bessel and Dirk Schumann (eds), Life After Death: Approaches to a Cultural and Social History of Europe during the 1940s and the 1950s CUP 2002, pp.259-90
- ‘Reflections on a Death Foretold: the Life and Times of the Italian Communist Party’ in Italy: Politics and Policy. Vol. Two, edited by Robert Leonardi and Marcello Fedele, Ashgate, Aldershot 2003, pp.35-54
- ‘Social Europe and European Identity’ in Social Europe edited by Detlev Albers, Stephen Haseler and Henning Meyer published by the European Research Forum (London Metropolitan University), 2006, pp.145-159.
- ‘Le ragioni degli storici’ in Roberto Finzi and Paolo Zellini (eds), Forme della ragione, CLUEB Bologna 2008 ISBN 978-88-491-3105-5
- ‘Das soziale Europa und die europäische Identität’ in Thomas Meyer and Johanna Eisenberg (eds), Europäische Identität als Projekt. Innen –und Aussbensichten, Verlag für Sozialwissenschaften, Wiesbaden 2009 ISBN: 978-3-531-15781-8
- Preface to Giuseppe Mazzini, Dei Doveri dell’uomo, Rizzoli, Milan 2010, pp.5-17 ISBN 978-88-17-03870-6
- ‘The Anxious Triumph of Capitalism’ in On Capitalism edited by Kurt Almqvist and Alexander Linklater, Axel and Margaret Ax:son Johnson Foundation, Perspectives from the 2010 Engelsberg seminar , Stockholm 2010, pp. 53-72
- I buoni e i cattivi nella cultura popolare, Aragno editore, Turin 2012 (lecture published in book format, pp.60
- ‘The Long Depression, the Great Crash and Socialism in Western Europe’ in Michael Keating and David McCrone (eds), The Crisis of Social Democracy in Europe, Edinburgh University Press 2013
-‘Social Democracy’ in The Social Science Encyclopaedia edited by Adam and Jessica Kuper, Routledge, London and New York 1996.
in Electronic Format: “Communism”, “Socialism”, “Marxism”, “Trotskyism”, “Leninism”, “Stalinism”, and “Maoism” for the international edition of ENCARTA (CD-Rom Encyclopaedia) (Microsoft Publishers) 1997. ‘Socialism’ updated for ENCARTA 2002. Further enlarged and updated for Encarta 2004.
‘Italy’ and ‘Hobsbawm’ in Encarta 2004
Written REVIEWS in
Political Quarterly, Modern Italy, Haften for Kritiska Studier,(Stockholm), Studi Storici, Il Sole-24 Ore, Political Studies, The Times Literary Supplement, History, Journal of Modern History, West European Politics, Social History, The Times Higher Educational Supplement, Journal for the Study of Modern Italy, Italia Contemporanea, Corruption and Reform, The European, Renewal, Journal of Southern Europe and the Balkans, English Historical Review, Contemporary Record, London Review of Books, The American Historical Review. L’Indice dei Libri. Literary Review. Sunday Telegraph. Guardian, the Observer, .HistoryToday (April 2012). The Tablet (2 June 2012)
OTHER ARTICLES in:
- United Kingdon
: The Observer, The Independent, The Guardian, (frequent reviews and obituaries), The Times, Prospect (monthly, London) The Literary Review (London March 2010), Marxism Today (monthly, London) Jewish Chronicle (22 September 2006), New Humanist (March 2007), Sunday Telegraph (frequent reviews), Times Higher Educational Supplement, New Statesman (also regular contributor 1984-88) New Society (London), Guardian unlimited, The Spanner
: El Pais (Madrid)
: Paese Sera (daily, Rome) Il Manifesto (daily, Rome), L’Unità (daily, Rome), Cultura Aperta (monthly, Rome) , L’Europeo (weekly, Milan), , La Cooperazione (monthly, Rome), Politica e Economia (monthly, Rome), Rinascita (regular contributor 1979-90) QuarantaCinque (monthly Bologna, regular contributor 1985-89), Il Sole-24 Ore (financial daily, Milan, regular contributor 1984-5 and again since 2009), Repubblica (Rome, 13 July 1999) Messaggero di Sant’Antonio (Padova), L’Indice dei Libri (Turin February 2010), Reset (July 1999), La Stampa, (September 2010), Liberazione, (October 2010)
: Sunday Tribune (Dublin)
: Taipei Times (Online edition, 12 September 1999),
: Dissent (Winter 1994, Winter 2000), The Nation (New York),
: Australian Financial Review (19 October 2001)
: Eleftherotypia (supplement) 11 April 2005
: Clarin (Buenos Aires ‘Crisis del sueño imperial’ 1 November 2009);
: Fakt-Europa (Warsaw, 9 March 2005 and interview 5 November 2008
- The Deutscher Memorial Lecture 1997 at the London School of Economics
- George Rudé lecture at UWGB Center for History and Social Change University of Wisconsin at Green Bay (1997)
- The Rahv, Hughes, Manuel and Marcuse Memorial Lecture 2001, Brandeis University (Boston, Mass.)
- The Wandruszka Lecture (‘The Reasons of Historians’) (26 October 2007). Istituto per gli Incontri Culturali Mitteleuropei of Gorizia
- The Sixth Gramsci Lecture. Fondazione Istituto Gramsci Emilia-Romagna 31 March 2011 (Il comunismo italiano e nel mondo: 90 anni dopo)
Lectures and talks
- London Institute of Historical Research (1978, 1980, etc.)
- City and East London CFE (1976, 1977)
- The London School of Economics (1977)
- Reading University (1976)
- Sussex University (1976 and 1977)
- Polytechnic of Central London (1976)
- Polytechnic of North London (every year 1980-95)
- Sheffield University (1977)
- Sheffield Polytechnic (1976, 1977 and 1984)
- University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology (1977)
- Kingston Polytechnic (1985)
- Warwick University (1977)
- Essex University (1977)
- Keele University (1977)
- East Anglia University (1977)
- Southampton University (1978)
- St Antony’s College, Oxford (1978)
- Ruskin College, Oxford (1979)
- CRESS, Bologna, (1980)
- Casa della Cultura, Milan.(1981)
- Centro Riforma dello Stato, Rome (1982)
- Bologna University (1980)
- Dante Alighieri Society, Leicester (1981, 1983, 1986)
- Dante Alighieri Society, Southampton, (1985)
- ILEA History Teacher Centre (1984)
- The Civil Service College (1985)
- The Bartlett School of Architecture and Planning, UCL (1985-1988)
- Imperial War Museum (6th Form lectures, 2-3 times a year 1984-98)
- British-Italian Society (1987)
- All Souls, Oxford (1987)
- South Bank Polytechnic (1988-9)
- E+TS Seminars (Sixth Form Conference) (1988)
- Centro Studi Politica Internazionale (1989)
- Association of Teachers of Italian, Keynote Address, Annual Conference York (1989)
- Portsmouth High School Sixth Form (1990)
- Italian Institute of Culture (1991)
- Center for European Studies, Harvard University (1990)
- The Historical Association (Richmond) 1990
- Latymer Boys’ School (1992)
- organised Six-Form Conference on Italian Fascism at the Imperial War Museum (March 1993)
- Institut d’études éuropéennes Université Libre Brussels (1993)
- University of Connecticut (1994)
- Trinity College (Hartford Conn.) (1994)
- Brown University, USA (1994)
- Brandeis University, Boston (1994)
- University of East London (1994)
- University of Florence (1995)
- New York University (1997)
- Fordham University, New York (1997)
- Columbia University (1997)
- Harvard University (1997)
- University of Wisconsin at Madison (1997)
- Democratic Dialogue (Belfast 1997)
- Centre for the Study of Democracy, University of Westminster (1998)
- LSE, Sociology Department Weekend School (1998)
- Centre de recherches interculturelles anglophone et francophone, Université de Paris 13 (1998)
- American International University, London (1998)
- Italian Cultural Institute (London, 1998 and 1999)
- LSE Gender Institute (November 1998)
- Oundle School (January 1999)
- International School for Advanced Study of the University of Trieste (1999)
- St Antony’s College, Oxford (April 1999)
- University of Westminster (February 2000)
- University of Bologna Centre for Mass Communications (November 2000)
- New York University Remarque Institute (January 2001)
- UCLA, Centre for Social Theory and Comparative History, Los Angeles (February 2001)
- Columbia University Modern Italian Seminar, (March 2001)
- Brandeis University, Boston March 2001
- Institut Français (London, September 2001)
- Cheltenham Festival of Literature (October 2001)
- Cooper Union (New York February 2002)
- Bryn Mawr College, Pennsylvania (February 2002)
- Corcoran Gallery, Washington DC (February 2002)
- Sackler Museum (Cambridge, Mass. February 2002)
- St. Paul‘s Girls’ School (8 March 2002)
- Renner Institut Vienna (17 June 2002)
- Centro Progetto, Bergamo 18 October 2002
- Chicago Festival of the Humanities 2 November 2002.
- Brasenose College Oxford (13 February 2003)
- University of Viterbo (6 May 2003)
- Raphael Samuel History Centre Symposium (Institute of Historical Research, June 2003)
- Historical Association West Sussex (March 2004)
- Northern Collegiate School (October 2003)
- Liceo di Rovereto (May 2004 Trento, Italy)
- University of Peshawar (25 May 2004)
- University of Aarhus, Denmark (18 August 2004)
- University of Chicago (Cultural Policy Center, 25 February 2005)
- Université de Paris XIII (École doctorale) ‘Pourquoi la Joconde? Construction d’une icône mondiale’
- Unione Culturale Torino (‘La socialdemocrazia in Italia e il PCI’, 30 September 2005)
- Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, Beijing 4 June 2008 Lecture on European Socialism on the occasion of the Chinese publication of my One Hundred Years of Socialism
- Colloque de Cérisy (Normandie) ‘La prédiction et l’histoire.’ September 2008.
- University of Perth Australia (3 and 4 Nov 2008) Masterclass on The Culture of the Europeans and Public Lecture on Mona Lisa.
- LaTrobe University Melbourne (7 and 10 Nov 2008) Masterclass on The Culture of the Europeans and Public Lecture on Mona Lisa.
- Cultures Croisées Conference organized by the French Ministry of Culture 3 December 2008 commenting on a major French government research presented to cultural operators in Paris.
- UILM (University, Milan) Lecture on The Culture of the Europeans 19 December 2008.
- Lecture at the 60th anniversary of the Biblioteca Universale Rizzoli on ‘Cheap Books in 19th century Europe’, Milan 20 February 2009
- Lecture on The Culture of the European, Fondazione Zaninoni, Bergamo, 22 February 2009.
- Palazzo Ducale Genova Fondazione per la Cultura (‘Cultura e sviluppo in Europa dall’800 ad oggi’ keynote address). (15 May 2009).
- Turin Book Fair “L’Identità culturale degli Europei” Lectio Magistralis. on the occasion of my being awarded the Premio Alassio Internazionale (16 May 2009)
- University of Bologna. Center for Mass Communication. Lecture on the Culture of the Europeans 18 May 2009.
- University of Catania. Lecture The Myth of Mona Lisa (23 May 2009).
- While SW Brooks Visiting Fellow in the School of English Media Studies and Art History at the University of Queensland I gave the annual Brooks lecture on ‘The Provincialism of Dominant Narrative: the French and the English in the 19th Century’. I gave a Masterclass to the Sassoon Reading Group (which had met weekly discussing my The Cultures of the Europeans). I also gave a public lecture on Mona Lisa as part of the annual Brisbane Writers’ festival.
- University of Göttingen, First annual lecture on Euroculture 21 January 2010 (followed by seminar on 22 January).
- Lecture on European Culture to pupils of the high schools of the Comune of Mirandola (Modena, 26 February 2010).
- Public Lecture on European Culture, guest of the Municipality of Modena 3 March 2010
- Round Table discussion on ‘How Historians Write Their Books’ at Libri Come Festa del Libro e della Letteratura, Rome 27 March 2010
- Lecture on European social democracy Witwatersand University Johannesburg 26 April 2010
- Lecture on State Control of Culture. Transeuropa Festival, University of Babeş-Bolyai, Cluj-Napoca, Romania, 3 May 2010.
- Opening Lecture on Europe’s Culture Turin ‘Thinking Pot’ Festival of European Youth (9 September 2010)
- Mantova Festivaliteratura Lectures on Globalization and lecture on Culture (10 and 11 September 2010).
- Lecture on Mussolini. Genova Palazzo Ducale (13 September 2010)
- Lecture on Culture of the Europeans (Waseda University). Tokyo (27 September 2010)
- Turin Opening lecture Festival Storia (on heroes and villains in popular literature) (14 october 2010)
- Bergamo: Lecture on Mussolini. Fondazione Zaninoni (15 october 2010)
- Lecture to Sixth Formers on Socialism (BSix Hackney E5 8BP) (20 October 2010) .
- LSE Round table Discussion ‘European Questions –Turkish Angles: Europe’s History’ organized by Forum for European Philosophy, European Institute, (25 October 2010)
- Keynote address ‘L’exception italienne’ La transition italienne dans le cadre européen. ULB 3-4 Dec 2010
- ‘The Past of Social Democracy’ Duke University Center for European Studies Conference ‘The Future of European Social Democracy’ 25 February 2011
- “La cultura degli Europei” Istituto Storico della Resistenza, Reggio Emilia 30 March 2011
- “La cultura dell’anomalia” Fondazione Collegio San Carlo, Modena 1 April 2011
- ‘The State of the Left’ CCCB Barcelona 1 June 2011
- “Questo diletto almo paese. Profili dell’unità d’Italia”Conference organized by Ministero dell’Istruzione and SUM –Istituto Italiano di Scienze Umane 2 Aprile 2011
- ‘The Left: Not Just a Political Crisis’ talk at the Conference on ‘La Controreforma Cultural’ organized by the Centre de Cultura Contemporània de Barcelona, 2 June 2011.
- ‘La cultura dell’anomalia: l’Italia e gli altri’ paper at the Conference, L’unità italiana: uno sguardo dall’Europa organized by the Accademia delle scienze di Torino; Turin 7-8 June 2011.
- ‘The Long Depression the Great Crash and Socialism in Western Europe’ 21 October 2011 Université Libre de Bruxelles
- Talk Cambridge Clio Society 25 October 2011
- Lecture Richmond American University 9 November 2011 (Triumph of Capitalism)
- ‘Intellectuals and Italian Exceptionalism’. 21 November 2011 Johns Hopkins University Bologna
- ‘El valor de las ideas: producción de bienes, producción de imágenese’ FundacióMAPFRE Madrid 16 January 2012
- Tallinn University Winter School ‘Gaze and Glance: Ways of Seeing Culture’ 23-24 January 2012
- Fort Hare University South Africa Lectures on Social Democracy 16-17 April 2012
- Keynote address Workshop Transnational and Global Approaches to the History of the Left, Oxford, sponsored by University of Oxford and Stockholm University
- Keynote address on the 100th anniversary of the founding of the Irish Labour Party organized by Labour Youth (Tom Johnstone Summer School) Kilkenny 29 June 2012.
- Lecture on Hugo and Dickens at the Guernsey Literary Festival, September 2012
- ‘Constructing Historical Memories’ Serpentine Gallery Memory Marathon October 2012
- Lecture on ‘The Goodies and the Baddies in 20th century popular literature’ Rendez-vous de l’histoire, Blois, October 2012
- Lecture on the Mona Lisa to launch the exhibition of Hilli Hassemer’s Shooting Mona Lisa, Brussels 30 October 2012 sponsored by the North Rheine Westphalia Representation.
I am regularly consulted/interviewed by the World Service of the BBC (Radio and Television), by CNN, by ItaliaRadio, RAI (Radio and television, Italy), by ZDF (Germany) and by Swiss Radio and Television and American radio stations such as the New York based WBAI. I have also been consulted and/or interviewed by BBC Radio Four (including Analysis and Front Row), the Italian Service of the BBC, Austrian Radio, Blue Danube Radio (Vienna), LBC (London, news radio), GLR (London BBC Radio), Koln Radio (West Germany), Newsnight and The Midnight Hour BBC2, London Weekend Television and Yorkshire Television. I have also recorded an audio programme on the political economy of Italy 1955-73 for the Open University (1999). In the USA I have been interviewed (on my One Hundred Years of Socialism) by Free Associations Radio for WZRD and WHPK, (Chicago), by Studs Terkel (WFMT Chicago), by WUSB (State University of New York), by Wisconsin Public Radio (programme: To the Best of Our Knowledge), by WBEZ (Chicago) I wrote and narrated the BBC2 documentary Earthquake in December 1981 (on the earthquake in Southern Italy of November 1981). Also interviewed on my Mona Lisa on BBC4, BBC2, most regional BBC radio, as well as by over twenty US, Australian and New Zealand, Canadian radio programmes, Globo TV (Brazil), KBS (Korean Broadcasting System on 15 Nov 2006) and a number of independent films. I was a consultant for RAI-Television and scripted the programme The American Dream of the Italians 1920-1983 (RAI-TV, 1984). Consultant for the Channel Four series The Next Left, on the Left in Western Europe (1988-89). Fronted phone-in programme on European integration for Talk Radio (July 1996). Interviewed by various newspapers and magazines including L’Unità (Rome), Il Messaggero (daily, Rome), Il Corriere della Sera (daily, Milan),La Repubblica (Rome), La Stampa (Turin), Il Secolo XIX (Genoa), To Vima (Athens Sunday edition) Il Mattino (daily, Naples) and Utopia (Greece), Berlingske Tidende (Copenhagen), Eleftherotypia (Athens), Kathimerini, (Athens), L’Espresso (Rome), Yomiuri Shimbun (Tokyo), Asahi Shimbun (Tokyo), SIRP Eesti Kultuurileht (Estonia 17 Februatry 2012). In February 2002 the Washington Post published a lengthy feature article on my book on Mona Lisa (which has been reviewed by over 50 daily newspapers). Interviewed by a number of Spanish newspapers when my The Culture of the Europeans was launched in Spain in 2006. Also interviewed in the Italian daily Il Riformista (8 September 2007), in the Sunday edition of the Greek paper Eleytheros Typos (16 September 2007), for a programme in MEGA TV (Greece) broadcast 9 October 2007. (Left in Europe), in the Spanish magazine ABC (Spain) 7 October 2007 and in L’Unità Rome 16 October 2007. A half page feature on my work on Mona Lisa was published in the International Herald Tribune 25 July 2007
2011: Interviewed: Swiss Radio, Swiss TV, Corriere della Sera. Obit (Magri) Guardian, Review Observer
2012: Guardian Op ed: ‘For this crisis we can look to the Long Depression’ in The Guardian 30 April 2012. Interviewed ABC (Madrid), El Publico, Review in History Today, The Tablet. Taken part in open debate Paris La regle du jeu, interviewed RAI, Swiss TV, Swiss radio
I have read scholarly papers at conferences organized by the Association of Contemporary European Studies (1975 and 1984), Columbia University (New York, 1977), Irish Association for European Studies (Belfast, 1978), Italian Association of Partisans ANPI, (Aosta, 1979), Istituto Mario Alicata (Reggio Emilia, 1981 and 1984), Istituto Feltrinelli (Milan 1980), University of Bremen (Bremen 1981), Istituto Gramsci (Florence 1977, Rome 1982, Rome 1985), Otto Bauer Foundation (Vienna 1982), IRES-CGIL (Rome 1982), Free University of Berlin (1983), Associazione Cristiana Lavoratori Italiani (Rimini 1983), Prix Italia (RAI-TV Florence 1983, Cagliari 1985 and Lucca 1986), Centro Ricerche Politiche Economiche e Sociali (Rome 1984), Fondazione Basso (Rome 1984), Istituto Piemontese di Scienze Economiche e Sociali, (Turin, 1985), Independent Film and Video Makers Association (Manchester 1985), Fondazione Pietro Nenni and Centro Riforma dello Stato (1986), Association for the Study of Modern Italy (Fifth Annual Conference, 1986 which I organized), Centro Culturale Lucio Lombardo Radice, Brescia (1987 and 1988), Political Science Association (Aberdeen, April 1987), Comparative Postwar Economic Performance Conference at Nuffield College (Oxford 1987), Centre for Mediterranean Studies, Bristol University (1988), Third International Conference of Società di Studi Elettorali, Naples 1988, Istituto Gramsci Friuli Venezia Giulia and Marksisticni Centre of Ljubljana, Trieste (1989), Istituto Gramsci Emilia Romagna (1989), Bologna University (1990), Association for the Study of Modern Italy (1990), Centre for the Advanced Study of Italian Society (Reading University 1990), Goldsmiths’ College, University of London 1992, Institute for Public Policy Research (London 1992), Gramsci Foundation (Rome 1992), Fondazione Feltrinelli Eighth International Colloquium (Cortona 1992), Political Science Association (Leicester 1993), American Social Science History Association (Atlanta 1994), Université Paris XIII (March 1995), Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung in Rome (April 1995), Warwick University (October 1995), University Polytechnic of Athens and Pantios University of Athens (November 1995), University of North London (November 1996), National Labour Institute and Hellenic Centre for European Studies, Athens (November 1996), ‘The Age of Hobsbawm’ Conference (Birkbeck College, June 1997), University of Nanterre (October 1997), Friedrich Ebert Stiftung and Wiardi Beckman Stichting (October 1997), Istituto Gramsci Toscano (November 1997), ‘Giornate Europee del Libro e della Cultura’ in Florence (February 1998), Université de Paris X-Nanterre (May 1998), German Historical Institute (Schloss Gimborn, Germany October 1998), St. Antony’s College Oxford and Maison Française (April 1999), Centre de recherches sur l’espace, les sociétés et les cultures, University of Paris-Nord (May 1999), NATO (‘NATO: The First Fifty Years’) in Bonn (May 1999), Democratic Progressive Party International Seminar on Political Parties, Taiwan (September 1999) University of Trieste (February 2000), Thammasat University at Ayutthaya, Thailand (May 2000), Gramsci Foundation, Rome (May 2000), York University, Toronto (September 2000), Istituto Storico di Modena (December 2000). Dubrovnik International Centre (June 2001, organized by Northwestern University, Ill. USA). University of Trento (October 2001) on European and American Federalism, Europe-Asia Forum, Singapore (November 2002), University of Viterbo (6 May 2003), Raphael Samuel History Centre Symposium (Institute of Historical Research, June 2003), Waseda University and Hokkaido University Japan 11-15 October 2003, Ebert Foundation Berlin (23-24 March 2004), Rethinking Social Democracy, Institute of Historical Research University of London (April 2004), Center for the Study of the Novel Stanford University 23 April 2004, International Institute for Peace and Conflict Resolution, (National University of Science and Technology, Islamabad, May 2004). Berlin-Brandenburgisches Institut für Deutsch-Französische Zusammenarbeit in Europa, Stiftung Genshagen Germany (European Identity: 2-3 December 2005). Third Europe-Asia Forum Kuala Lumpur, Asia-Europe Institute, University of Malaysia and Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung (FES), Office for Regional Co-operation in Southeast Asia, (27 February to 1 March 2006); ‘Dilemmas of Democracy in Europe’ (org: University of Westminster, Austrian Academy of Sciences, etc, 2 June 2006, discussant), Conference on ‘Cultural Heritage and Identity’ organized by the Weidenfeld Institute for Strategic Dialogue and the Staatliche Kunstsammlungen in May 2007 (Dresden).
Paper on stereotypes in history at the Fourth Asia-Europe Dialogue organized by the Ebert Foundation in Bonn (3-4 September 2007)
Paper at conference on Cultural Studies organised by the Institut d’Etude Scientifiques de Cargèse (Corsica) and the Université de Corse and Université de Nice Sophia-Antipolis (14-17 November 2007). Paper on European Identity at conference organized by the Genshagen Foundation, Berlin 7-8 December 2007
Discussant on international workshop ‘Images of the United States in 19th Century Europe and Latin America’ organized by University College London and the Institute of the Americas (8-9 May 2008)
Paper on the European Welfare States, Beijing, 2-3 June 2008. Conference organized by Renmin University, the Chinese Social Insurances Association and the Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung (FES).
Keynote address Conference Brussels ‘ La transition italienne dans le cadre européen.’ Centre d’Etude de la Vie Politique – CEVIPOL Université libre de Bruxelles 3 December 2010
« The Future of Social Democracy » Conference at Duke University, North Carolina 25 February 2011, My paper: “The Past of Social Democracy”
“Questo diletto almo paese. Profili dell’unità d’Italia”Conference organized by Ministero dell’Istruzione and SUM –Istituto Italiano di Scienze Umane 2 Aprile 2011
‘The Long Depression, the Great Crash and Socialism in Western Europe’ keynote address to Conference on Social Democracy Facing Financial Crisis, 21 October 2011, ULB, Bruxelles
‘Les enjeux de la modernité capitaliste: l’Europe avant la Grande Guerre’ Colloque Guerres Balkaniques, conflit local et engrenage, Bucharest, organised by New Europe College EHESS, University of Bucharest 1-2 June 2012
‘Exceptionalism and the Italian Anomaly’ Society of Italian Studies Conference. Keynote address. Transnational Italy: National identity and the World Atlas. 13 July 2012 Reading University
I am the curator of La Storia in Piazza in Genoa backed by the Fondazione Palazzo Ducale and the municipality of Genoa, a four-day international festival of history. The first edition (April 2009) was on the theme of The Birth of Nations which attracted 16,000 participant. The second edition (April 2010) had as its theme ‘The Invention of War’. It attracted 26,000 participants. The third edition (April 2011) was on Il Movimento dei Popoli.
Organizer Europe since 1890
Senior Tutor: 1998-2000
Chair: History Board of Examiners 1994-6
Head of the History Dept. Hampstead Campus (1991-92) (QMW)
Westfield College: Admissions Tutor from 1981 to 1991.
Audio-Visual Aid Committee (Westfield College) 1981-86
Standing Committee of the Faculty of Arts (Westfield College) 1982-86
Various planning committees at the time of the merger between Westfield College and Queen Mary College
School Sub-Committee QMW 1988-91
Executive Committee: Centre for Modern European Studies
Erasmus coordinator QMW: 1992-4
Editor Handbook of the School of History and Institute of Historical Research 1989-91
- Curatore. Festival of History Genoa (“La Storia in Piazza”: since 2010)
- Member of the ‘conseil de perfectionnement de la spécialité’, l’Université Paris Dauphine, l’Institut Pratique de Journalisme, Laboratoire Communication et Politique (CNRS) Master Recherche ‘Médias, Journalisme et Démocratie’
- Member Consiglio dei Docenti Istituto Italiano di Scienze Umane – SUM (Italy)
Literary Editor, The Political Quarterly (UK).
- Editorial Board of the Journal of Modern Italian Studies. (USA)
- International Academic Board of the Journal of Balkan and Near Eastern Studies
- Editorial Board of Studi Storici (Rome)
- Editorial Board Hermes (France) (Journal of Culture and Communications)
- Editorial Board of Thesis Eleven (Australia)
- Board of the Zaninoni Foundation of Bergamo
Comité Scientifique the Maison de l’Histoire de France. 2010-12
Executive Committee, Association for the Study of Modern Italy 1985-90
Editorial Board: Problemi del Socialismo, (Rome)
Editorial Board of Europa/Europe, (Rome)
Editorial Board of ‘900. Per una storia del tempo presente (Italy)
Participant in ERASMUS staff exchange programme with the universities of Brussels, Florence, Athens, Dijon, Paris-Sorbonne and Frankfurt.
Member of the Board of the Feltrinelli Foundation of Milan
Independent Assessor for the Leverhulme Foundation 1999-2000
Independent Evaluator for AHRB 2001-2002
Member Peer Review College The Arts and Humanities Research Council
Assessor for promotion to professorships for the University of Westminster, Brandeis University (Boston), and The State University of New York.
PhD supervision (current)
The rise of the art and antiquities auction business, 1945-1965.
The role of women politicians in welfare policies in Italy 1945-75.
Supervised six doctoral students to successful conclusion:
Vassilis Fouskas (1997): Italy, Europe, the Left : the transformation of Italian communism and the European imperative
Ilaria Favretto (1998) Structural Reformism: the socialist management of capitalism. The British Labour party and the Italian Socialist party, 1956-1964
John Bulaitis (2005): ‘Le Communisme aux Champs’: French communists, agricultural workers and the Popular Front farms strikes.
Ombretta Ingrascì (2005): Mafia Women in Contemporary Italy. The Changing Role of Women in the Italian Mafia since 1945.
Amy K. Rosenthal (2007) The Action Party and the Diaspora of the Actionists in post-war Italy
Stefanie Freyberg (2008) A comparative study of Italian communism and German social democracy in the 1960s and 1970s.
GRANTS and DISTINCTIONS
2009-10: Leverhulme grant (to fund replacement for teaching and administrative duties)
2000-03: Leverhulme Major Research Fellowship (to fund replacement for teaching and administrative duties)
2001: Spring Semester: Senior Visiting Fellow, Remarque Institute, New York University
2002: Summer term: Visiting Fellow, Maison des sciences de l’homme, Paris.
1997-8: Social Science Nuffield Research Fellowship (to fund replacement for teaching and administrative duties)
1998: British Academy grant to spend 6 weeks in Italy, Spring 1998
1988-90 grants from the British Academy, the University of London Central Research Fund and Westfield College for travel to Paris, Stockholm and Bonn for my research on the West European Left.
In 1995 grant from the Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche and travel grant from the British Council to spend four weeks in Milan to gather material for the second revised edition of Contemporary Italy.
In 1995 grant from the Institute of Public Policy Research to produce a report on European Integration and the IGC of 1996.
In 1996 grant from the Fondazione Gramsci to produce the 1997 special issue of the journal Europa-Europe.
Services to Business
- Seminars held for senior executives of TIM (Telecom Italia Mobile) in Athens (July 2001) and Rio de Janeiro (October 2001).
- Seminar held for senior executive of UBM (UniCredit Banca Mobiliare) in Milan 21 March 2002
- Seminar for senior executives of Finmeccanica in Civita di Castello 7 July 2005
- Seminar for senior executives of Finmeccanica (‘The Globalisation of Culture’ Managerial seminar ‘From Technology to Values’ Brockenhurst 27 October 2005).
- Member of the Board of History advisers to I. B. Tauris & Co. Ltd. (publishers)
- Consultant David Feldman Galleries (Geneva) on Isleworth Mona Lisa